Monday, March 1, 2010

Life Times II

So term 3 is in a week, guess it's time to update. First off, I just want to reflect on the last term. In truth it was basically term 1 all over again. But on the upside, we were given more freedom of expression in our work. I for one am definitely much prouder of all our completed assignments this term. I guess the first two terms are all about discovering your inner artist. So with that said and done, I'm optimistically looking forward to term 3. In particular, I'm stoked about started the Discovery Project. From what I understand we get the whole term to work on a single project, anything of our choosing as long as it relates to one of the streams in Foundation Visual Art & Design. I've been contemplating what I should do for this project. Initially, I was thinking of making a music video, but now I'm slowly leaning towards something I know nothing about. Stop motion, costume and make up design, and set design, are areas that also spark interest for me. Well, whatever I end up choosing, I know that I'm gonna give it my all.

If there's anything I'm most proud of these first few months of Foundation, it's getting to know all of these new people and the moments we share together. I know, call me a cornball all you want but it's true. Besides a select few directors/cinematographers I idolize and admire, I have to admit that a part of my inspiration comes from the people I associate myself with on a daily basis. Many of them are so damn talented and creative. Looking at the stuff they do drives me to do better and work harder. A few in particular come to mind who I'll give a shout out too.

First off there's Juan Behrens who was a part of our class for term 1 but left for Digital Design. He just completed an amazing video project where you can watch here (his website is www.bre4k.com). And then there's Amy Gonyou, female videographer prodigy. You can find some of her mashups here. Yeah she's amazing, I have a huge crush on her. These are just 2 of my school mates who's work can be found online. There really are so many others who are amazing artists in their own right. I give kudos to those people, the ones who give it their best day in and day out. I'm highly anticipating experiencing the rest of the program, working on bigger and better projects.


Yesterday was the last day of the Olympics. As you all know Canada won gold in hockey (the one that matters) and the city went bananas. A moment I will never ever forget is when USA scored with 10 seconds left to tie it, and during the intermission heading into O.T. I looked over to my friend Jessy and she was beginning to cry. I then looked out the window onto a downtown street, from high up on the 11th floor of an apart complex, nothing but silence. Besides a few people standing at the bus stops, the street was empty. The moment Canada scored the goal in overtime, there was an instant roar and people started flooding the streets. For the rest of the day, downtown was a gong show. I remember The Red Mile back in Calgary when the Flames made it to the Stanley Cup Final. That was about 1/2 as crazy as Vancouver yesterday. You seriously couldn't walk 2 blocks without someone high five-ing you. It was magic.

0 comments:

Post a Comment