Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Most Favourite Foreign Language Films, EVER

Movies that feature a foreign language are often overlooked in North America simply because the dialogue consist of another language other than english. People don't make the effort to work at the film because it requires tons of reading, most times at speeds they are not adapted too. Some of these films have already obtained main stream status but there are always the few rare gems. Here they are, from my most to least favourite.

1. Infernal Affairs (2002) Cantonese
Alright so the first spot is really a tie between this movie and Hero. Both of which I've described in my favourites of the decade list so I won't get into much detail with this one. A few points I missed from the earlier post was the strong performances by Hong Kong megastars Andy Lau, and Tony Leung. The latter, who in my opinion, gave his best on screen performance to date. Oh and did I mention the spectacular Christopher Doyle who graced this film with his magic touch, even if it was only for the first 10 days of the shoot.

2. Hero. (2002) Mandarin
Once again, to me this is the greatest martial arts epic of all time. I wish Jet Li went back to making movies like this. But then again, if something's perfect why not leave it as it is (his series of martial arts movies).

3. Inglourious Basterds (2009) German/French
When I wrote my decade favourite list, I had yet to see this masterpiece by Quentin Tarantino. As you all know the movie was an American production but 80% of the dialogue is in French/German so there was no question this had to be on the list. I loved, loved, loved, loved, loved this movie so much. Without a doubt, this is Tarantino at his best. He's mastered the suspense-fulness in dialogue and composition of his shots. The way his shots are executed makes you believe that something horrific is looming to be revealed in the wake of the next piece of dialogue or transition. And Christoph Waltz as "The Jew Hunter" was just absolutely startling. Even when he is trying to act like a decently nice guy, evil just bleeds out of the character. And as always, the soundtrack for this film is simply sensational. What more can I say? If you have yet to watch this masterpiece of cinema, then shame on you.

4. Pan's Labyrinth (2007) Spanish
Another film from my decade list (there's a reason why the first four movies are on both lists). The blend of CGI, puppeteering, animatronics and miniature sets used as a device for story telling is absolutely genius. But then again, Guillermo Del Toro is an absolute genius. Proud to own a copy of this in my Blu-Ray collection.

5. Election 1 & 2 (2005, 2006) Cantonese
It's a shame that not many people have seen these films yet. Like Infernal Affairs, the first one is about the thrill of the Chase, while the second is slower and more character driven. There's an amazingly choreographed fight scene in the middle of the film. I don't recall the last time I've seen a balls to the wall 1 vs 30 person fight sequence in a Hong Kong triad film. Aside from the slower dramatic elements of the second, there's also a very dark tone to it (especially in one scene that involves a meat clever and german shepard's), one which is haunting and unforgettable.

6. City of God (2002) Portugese
Honestly, I have a fetish for films that depict social issues such as crime, poverty, drugs, gangs, prostitution, etc. This film is all of the above, rolled into one. The setting and environment the story takes place in (Cidade de Deus) is portrayed so well, you really do believe that a place like this exists somewhere out there. What is especially intriguing about the characters is that they are exposed to this hectic lifestyle at such a young age, it makes you ask yourself why isn't anyone doing anything to help them find a better life? I'm going to have to revisit this movie pretty soon.

7. The Chaser (2008) Korean
This South Korean film has recently received some positive buzz throughout the film community. Roger Ebert, via Twitter, has made numerous recommendations and praises for the film. It's another Korean gore fest that doesn't have your typical happily ever after ending. I might have already given too much away for a relatively new film. The best thing you can do is find a copy at a Blockbuster or Rogers, as I'm sure there will be one in the Critics Picks section.

8. Chungking Express (1994) Cantonese
How could I have a list of best foreign language films without including a Wong Kar Wai/Christopher Doyle collaboration? It's dated, and despite the film having absolutely no plot, the visual concepts still stand up. I simply just admire Christopher Doyle's cinematography. The story behind this movie is quite interesting. Wong Kar Wai was actually in the midst of filming his epic Ashes of Time, when he wanted to take a break from that and work on a side project to freshen up his mind. The end result, this film. An image of Faye Wong dancing to California Dreaming is forever implanted into my brain every time I hear that song.

9. Ditto (2000) Korean
Yes, the film is about a love story, or rather, what could have been love story. But this time, it's not going to end up with someone getting a disease and tragically dying, leaving behind their loved one to weep in agony and despair for the whole second half of the movie. The film has a more sentimental quality to it. I'll admit that the first half hour or so I was pretty bored and not into the story at all. Luckily I forced myself to finish the rest of the movie and was rewarded with an incredibly intriguing story of a boy who communicates with a girl from the past through an amateur radio frequency device.

10. The Motorcycle Diaries (2004) Spanish
I really consider this film has to be packaged along side Steven Soderbergh's 2 part epic Che. My reasoning is that the Soderbergh films are great biopics themselves. However, in order to really hold a grasp of the characters motives and reason, you have to know his backstory. The Motorcycle Diaries is just that. A whole movie dedicated to the backstory of an influential historic icon, Che Guevara. I find it remarkable that within that motorcycle trip, the character was influence to do and become what he was. The severe poverty he encountered throughout most of South America was simply astonishing. The film really makes you want to make a difference in the world yourself. It also depicts the joys and travelling, something that I've been fortunate enough to do quite excessively in my young adult life.

Notable Mentions;
Hard Boiled (1992) Cantonese
Infernal Affairs 2 (2003) Cantonese
Che (2008) Spanish
The Pianist (2002) English (Still counts as German)
A Bittersweet Life (2005) Korean
Il Mare (2000) Korean
Daisy (2006) Korean
Oldboy (2003) Korean

0 comments:

Post a Comment