Friday, December 18, 2009

Top Decade Pics

Since everyone on the web is releasing their list of favourite films of the past decade, I thought I'd share mine;


1. Infernal Affairs (2002)
Visually stunning cinematography by Christopher Doyle, whom I might add is my most favourite DP of all time. A soundtrack that demands the viewer to invest more than their visual attention to the story and characters. Edgy, fast-paced editing which rivals the best found in big feature Hollywood films. And a thrilling chase that left me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. There's no doubt in my mind that Andrew Lau and Alan Mak's Infernal Affairs is and has held this spot since the first time I saw it.


2. Hero (2002)
An amazing cinematic achievement by Yang Zimou and Christpher Doyle. Zimou uses his genius along with an array of vibrant colours as a tool to represent varying sides to a story. Never will I forget the fight scene between Maggie Cheung and Zhang Ziyi. Two women dressed in red, swarmed by a storm of bright yellow autumn leaves. Equally mesmerizing was the gravity-defying battle between Jet Li and Tony Leung, both of whom make the act of levitation seem so easy and effortless.


3. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
A heartbreaking story of a young girl who uses her imagination to escape the horrific tragedy that is her everyday life. Guillermo Del Toro magically uses a combination of practical and special effects to tell her story; which still find a way to leave me in aw even after watching this film 10 too many times.


4. Sunshine (2007)
In my opinion this is the most underrated film of all time. Despite the lacklustre finale that was the third act, the first and second act is Danny Boyle at his finest, suspenseful and visually captivating. The gripping soundtrack surely holds up as one of my favourites of all time. I would highly recommend finding a copy of this film in the HD format.


5. Inside Man (2006)
You know the kind of films where after watching it in confusion, once you reach the finale you feel like you just got mind fucked? Because the twist in the end was so good that you jump out of your seat and shout out "of course!" This is one of them. Clive Owen's character is probably the smartest SOB in all of film history. He know's it, and he even says it, right from the beginning.


6. The Prestige (2006)
The first time I saw this film I was pretty pissed of at myself for not noticing the brilliant plot twist, which was hinted at numerous times throughout. How could I not have realized something so obvious, it was right in front of my face. I guess good film making (the type of perfectionist Christopher Nolan) can do that to you. It completely shuts off your brain because you are so intrigued with the actions and consequences of the characters. It leaves you wishing that more movies were made like this.


7. Election 1 & 2 (2005, 2006)
This is another Hong Kong film which was directed by Johnnie To. I chose to put both movies up because they work best as a single entity. Most people in the west probably haven't even heard of these films but if you happen to come across it at your local t&t supermarket, make sure you pick it up. For me these two films blew all other hong kong triad movies out of the water (besides of course Infernal Affairs) the first time I saw them. There are no guns, explosions (not that I can think of) or drugs in either films, only effective story telling that follows an underground society; one which has definitely existed and thrived for hundreds of years.


8. Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
Who could have thought that the game show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" could so effectively be used as a device to drive the story behind one of the best adult fairy tales ever? For me, Slumdog was an emotional roller-coaster. It made me feel sorry for the protagonist and the situations they have been put in, but ultimately makes a triumphant 180 degree turn. Also, you will not find a better ending credits sequence anywhere (well, maybe in a Toy Story movie).


9. The Dark Knight (2008)
The fastest two and a half hours I have spent in a movie theatre. Who would have thought that a comic book adaptation could be so serious and realistic when converted into the film medium. And do I really have to mention Heath Ledger? I don't remember the last time that a character's dialouge stayed in my head for weeks after a viewing (Okay, I lied, there was Borat). Regrettably, I did not see the Christopher Nolan spectacle in IMAX, but hopefully there will be a future rerelease.


10. Gladiator (2000)
I will admit that the first time I saw Gladiator I was not as impressed as I should have been. But then again I was like what, 9 years old at the time? This one has definitely grown on me. The "Maximus Decimus Meridius" inspirational speech will probably live on as one of the most memorable all time, certainly my favourite. I need this thing on Blu-Ray.


0 comments:

Post a Comment